Kodiveri Waterfalls is a beautiful waterfall located in the Erode district of Tamil Nadu, India. The waterfall is formed by the Bhavani River, which flows down a steep cliff face. The falls are about 100 feet tall and 50 feet wide, and they create a stunning sight.
History of Kodiveri Waterfalls
The history of Kodiveri Waterfalls is long and fascinating. The falls were first mentioned in the Sangam literature, which dates back to the 3rd century BC. The falls were also mentioned in the writings of the 12th century Chola king Kulottunga I.
In the 17th century, the Maharaja of Mysore built a dam across the Bhavani River to create a reservoir. The dam created a lake, which in turn created Kodiveri Waterfalls. The dam also provided irrigation water for the surrounding area.
Evolution of Kodiveri Waterfalls
Over the years, Kodiveri Waterfalls have evolved significantly. The falls have become more popular with tourists, and there are now a number of facilities in the area to support tourism. There are hotels, restaurants, and shops, as well as a park with a number of attractions.
Location of Kodiveri Waterfalls
Kodiveri Waterfalls are located in the Erode district of Tamil Nadu, India. The falls are about 75 kilometers from Coimbatore and 70 kilometers from Erode. The falls are easily accessible by road, and there is a parking lot near the falls.
How to Reach Kodiveri Waterfalls
The best way to reach Kodiveri Waterfalls is by car. From Coimbatore, take the NH47 highway towards Sathyamangalam. After about 75 kilometers, take the turnoff to Kodiveri. The falls are about 5 kilometers from the turnoff.
There are also buses that run from Coimbatore and Erode to Kodiveri. The bus stop is located near the falls.
Things to Do at Kodiveri Waterfalls
There are a number of things to do at Kodiveri Waterfalls. Here are a few suggestions:
- Swimming in the Waterfalls: The waterfall is a popular spot for swimming. The water is cool and refreshing, and the falls provide a great place to cool off on a hot day.
- Boating on the Bhavani River: There are boats available for rent near the falls. You can take a boat ride on the Bhavani River and enjoy the scenery.
- Picnicking in the Park: There is a park near the falls with a number of picnic tables. You can bring your own food and enjoy a picnic lunch or dinner in the park.
- Trekking to the Top of the Falls: If you are feeling adventurous, you can trek to the top of the falls. The trek is about 2 kilometers long and offers stunning views of the falls.
- Visiting the Kodiveri Temple: There is a temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu near the falls. You can visit the temple and offer your prayers.
Best Time to Visit Kodiveri Waterfalls
The best time to visit Kodiveri Waterfalls is during the monsoon season, from July to September. During this time, the waterfall is at its fullest and the water is the clearest.
However, the falls can be visited at any time of the year. The weather is pleasant throughout the year,
H2: FAQs about Kodiveri Waterfalls
Q: What are the facilities available at Kodiveri Waterfalls?
A: There are a number of facilities available at Kodiveri Waterfalls, including:
- Parking lot
Q: How much is the entry fee for Kodiveri Waterfalls?
A: The entry fee for Kodiveri Waterfalls is INR 5 per person.
Q: What are the safety precautions to be taken at Kodiveri Waterfalls?
A: Here are some safety precautions to be taken at Kodiveri Waterfalls:
- Be careful when swimming in the waterfalls, as the currents can be strong.
- Do not climb on the rocks near the waterfalls, as they can be slippery.
- Be aware of your surroundings and watch out for wildlife.
- Wear appropriate clothing and footwear for hiking.
- Carry drinking water and snacks with you.
Q: What are the nearby places to visit from Kodiveri Waterfalls?
A: Here are some nearby places to visit from Kodiveri Waterfalls:
- Sathyamangalam: Sathyamangalam is a town located about 10 kilometers from Kodiveri. The town is home to a number of temples and historical monuments.
- Bhavani Dam: Bhavani Dam is located about 15 kilometers from Kodiveri. The dam is a popular spot for boating and fishing.
- Coimbatore: Coimbatore is a city located about 75 kilometers from Kodiveri. The city is home to a number of industries and educational institutions.
Kodiveri Waterfalls is a beautiful and popular tourist destination in Tamil Nadu. The falls offer a number of activities and attractions, making them a great place to visit for a day trip or a weekend getaway.
I hope this article has given you a better understanding of Kodiveri Waterfalls. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me.