Khandadhar Waterfall is one of the most beautiful and popular waterfalls in India. It is located in the Sundargarh district of Odisha, and is the second highest waterfall in the state. The waterfall is named after its sword-like shape, and is said to be a sacred place by the local tribal people.
Where is Khandadhar Waterfall located?
Khandadhar Waterfall is located in the Nandapani hills, about 19 kilometers from the town of Bonaigarh in Sundargarh district, Odisha. The waterfall is about 104 kilometers from the city of Rourkela.
How to Reach Khandadhar Waterfall
There are three ways to reach Khandadhar falls: by road, by rail, and by air.
- By road: The nearest town to Khandadhar Waterfall is Bonaigarh. There are regular bus services from Rourkela and Bhubaneswar to Bonaigarh. From Bonaigarh, it is a 19-kilometer drive to the waterfall.
- By rail: The nearest railway station to Khandadhar Waterfall is Joda. There are regular train services from Bhubaneswar and Rourkela to Joda. From Joda, it is a 57-kilometer drive to the waterfall.
- By air: The nearest airport to Khandadhar Waterfall is rourkela(83km) and anather Biju Patnaik International Airport in Bhubaneswar. There are regular flights from major cities in India to Bhubaneswar. From Bhubaneswar, it is a 259-kilometer drive to the waterfall.
History of Khandadhar Waterfall
The history of Khandadhar Waterfall is not well-known. However, it is said to be a sacred place by the local tribal people. The waterfall is also mentioned in some ancient Hindu texts.
Features of Khandadhar Waterfall
Khandadhar Waterfall is a single-drop waterfall that is about 244 meters (801 feet) high. The waterfall is surrounded by lush green hills and forests. The water in the waterfall is crystal clear and cold.
Things to do at Khandadhar Waterfall :
There are many things to do at Khandadhar Waterfall. Some of the most popular activities include:
- Trekking: There is a trekking trail that leads to the top of the waterfall. The trek is about 3 kilometers long and offers stunning views of the waterfall and the surrounding area.
- Camping: There is a camping ground near the waterfall. This is a great place to camp and enjoy the beauty of the waterfall.
- Bird watching: The area around Khandadhar Waterfall is home to a variety of birds. This is a great place to go bird watching.
- Photography: Khandadhar Waterfall is a photographer's paradise. The waterfall is a beautiful sight, and the surrounding area is lush and green.
- Swimming: It is not advisable to swim in the waterfall, as the water is very cold. However, there is a swimming pool near the waterfall where you can swim.
- Nature Walks: There are a number of nature trails in the area. These trails are a great way to explore the natural beauty of the area.
Best time to visit Khandadhar Waterfall
The best time to visit Khandadhar Waterfall is during the monsoon season (June to September). This is when the waterfall is at its fullest. However, the waterfall is also beautiful during the other seasons.
How to stay safe at Khandadhar Waterfall
Here are some tips on how to stay safe at Khandadhar Waterfall:
- Be careful when trekking to the top of the waterfall. The trail can be slippery and there are sharp rocks.
- Do not swim in the waterfall. The water is very cold and there are strong currents.
- Be aware of your surroundings. There are wild animals in the area.
- Do not litter.