Marmala Waterfalls is a beautiful waterfall located in the Kottayam district of Kerala, India. It is a popular tourist destination, known for its stunning scenery and refreshing waters.
|What is Marmala Waterfalls?
Marmala Waterfalls is a tiered waterfall that cascades down a rocky cliff face. The falls are about 40 meters high and plunge into a deep pool. The pool is surrounded by lush vegetation and provides a great place to swim and cool off.
Where is Marmala Waterfalls located?
Marmala Waterfalls is located about 8 kilometers from the town of Teekoy in Kottayam district. The nearest railway station is Kottayam, which is about 45 kilometers away.
How to reach Marmala Waterfalls?
The best way to reach Marmala Waterfalls is by car. From Kottayam, take the NH48 highway to Erattupetta. From Erattupetta, take the MC Road to Teekoy. From Teekoy, follow the signs to the falls.
History of Marmala Waterfalls
The history of Marmala Waterfalls is not well-known. However, it is believed that the falls have been a place of pilgrimage for centuries. The falls are mentioned in several Hindu texts, including the Ramayana and the Mahabharata.
Geology of Marmala Waterfalls
Marmala Waterfalls is formed by the Vazhikkadavu River, which is a tributary of the Meenachil River. The falls are located in the Western Ghats, which is a mountain range that runs along the western coast of India. The Western Ghats are home to a variety of flora and fauna, including many endangered species.
Flora and Fauna of Marmala Waterfalls
The lush vegetation surrounding Marmala Waterfalls is home to a variety of flora and fauna. Some of the plants that can be found in the area include rubber trees, bamboo, and ferns. Some of the animals that can be found in the area include elephants, monkeys, and birds.
Things to do at Marmala Waterfalls
There are a number of things to do at Marmala Waterfalls. Some of the most popular activities include:
- Trekking to the falls: There is a short but challenging trek that leads to the top of the falls. The views from the top are amazing.
- Swimming in the pool below the falls: The pool below the falls is a great place to cool off and relax. However, it is important to be careful, as the current can be strong.
- Bird watching: The area around Marmala Waterfalls is home to a variety of birds, including some rare species. Bird watching is a great way to see some of the local wildlife.
- Picnicking: There is a picnic area near the falls where you can enjoy a meal surrounded by nature.
Tips for visiting Marmala Waterfalls
Here are a few tips for visiting Marmala Waterfalls:
- Wear comfortable shoes: The trek to the falls can be a bit challenging, so it is important to wear comfortable shoes.
- Bring sunscreen and a hat: The sun can be strong at the falls, so it is important to protect yourself from the sun.
- Bring water and snacks: There are no food or drink vendors near the falls, so it is important to bring your own food and water.
- Be prepared for a moderate hike: The trek to the falls is about 2 kilometers long and takes about an hour to complete.
Marmala Waterfalls is a beautiful and refreshing place to visit. It is a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life and enjoy some peace and quiet. If you are looking for a place to relax and rejuvenate, Marmala Waterfalls is the perfect destination.
1. What is the best time to visit Marmala Waterfalls?
The best time to visit Marmala Waterfalls is during the early monsoon season (June to September), when the water levels are high and the falls are at their most spectacular.
2. What is the dress code for visiting Marmala Waterfalls?
There is no specific dress code for visiting Marmala Waterfalls. However, it is advisable to wear comfortable clothing that is appropriate for hiking. It is also important to wear shoes that provide good traction, as the trail can be slippery.
3. What are the facilities available at Marmala Waterfalls?
There are a few basic facilities available at Marmala Waterfalls, including a parking lot, a picnic area, and a restroom. There are no restaurants or shops in the area, so it is important to bring your own food and water.
4. Is it safe to swim in the pool below the falls?
It is generally safe to swim in the pool below the falls. However, it is important to be aware of the current and to be careful not to get caught in it. It is also important to be aware of the rocks in the pool, as they can be slippery.
5. What are the chances of encountering leeches at Marmala Waterfalls?
The chances of encountering leeches at Marmala Waterfalls are relatively high. Leeches are attracted to moisture, so they are more likely to be found in wet areas, such as waterfalls. If you are concerned about leeches, it is advisable to wear long pants and socks, and to apply insect repellent.
6. How can I get to Marmala Waterfalls by public transport?
The best way to get to Marmala Waterfalls by public transport is to take a bus from Kottayam to Teekoy. From Teekoy, you can take a taxi or auto rickshaw to the falls.
7. Where can I stay near Marmala Waterfalls?
There are a few hotels and homestays near Marmala Waterfalls. Some of the popular options include:
- The Teekoy Estate: This hotel is located about 2 kilometers from the falls and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- The Hill View Homestay: This homestay is located about 3 kilometers from the falls and offers a more traditional Keralan experience.
- The Green Palms Resort: This resort is located about 4 kilometers from the falls and offers a variety of amenities, including a swimming pool and a spa.
8. What are some other places to visit in the area?
In addition to Marmala Waterfalls, there are a number of other places to visit in the area, including:
- Vagamon: This hill station is located about 15 kilometers from Marmala Waterfalls and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Munnar: This hill station is located about 75 kilometers from Marmala Waterfalls and is known for its tea plantations and beautiful scenery.
- Alappuzha: This town is located about 125 kilometers from Marmala Waterfalls and is known for its backwaters and laid-back atmosphere.
I hope this answers all of your questions about Marmala Waterfalls. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.